Monday, December 31, 2007

Sleepover

Yoko invited me to her grandparents house in Ibaraki prefecture over the weekend, so we went up there together on saturday. The town they live in is located out on the countryside, with rice fields and mountains surrounding the area, about an hour away from Matsudo. The house is a really nice traditional japanese one, very big and around 100 years old. Rice paper doors makes it pretty cold during the winter but that gives you an opportunity to use a kotatsu, which I've been wanting to try ever since I first watched the fruits basket anime. It's really cozy sitting with your legs under the table, getting warm while eating dinner or watching a movie.
Yoko came back from her studies in Scotland over the holidays, and with her she brought some scottish food, haggis. Being made out of sheep's intestine and stomach I was too cowardly to try it when I was in Scotland myself, but this time I actually did try it. Not bad! It actually tasted similar to something I've tried before, but can't remember what it is.
Also got to eat some kinako mochi, something they traditionally eat in Japan during New Years. Was very yummy. Yoko's mom gave me some to take home when I went back to Matsudo on sunday. Japanese families are very friendly and generous, I love that about them!



3 comments:

George said...

gud vad mysigt det såg ut med kotatsu!
hoppas du har en fin nyårsafton. ses snart!

Anonymous said...

Heya there Nina ^_^

Again, the food is prominent *lol*. Anyway, seems like a really nice place, i'd love to go there. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your stay just a much as this little side trip !

Looks like 2008 starts just fine for you, so keep it up !

Take care

Cory said...

Oh maaaan, you ate haggis without me! :(